Monday 20 June 2016

The Boy That Left Church

Years have gone by. A man is who I am now. Adolescent-hood has left me. I have been building my musical skills, I now have my first degree, everything is happening so fast without even knocking. Passing-by I noticed the retarded off note sung by a set of people in the church I was hoping to be part of. Are they rehearsing or something? I distracted my friend. Oh, you don’t know? I asked; where is that guy that led them? You mean the boy that left the church? He responded. Is that his name? No, that’s what peeps call him.

I am not far from making a similar decision. Do not despise the days of little beginning; I know. But seeing that I am now on the cross road of independence? Choked by the needs of an adult and responsibilities scattered around my neck? Now I wonder why he left the church. Actually, the push to be better, to improve and to be numbered among the successful is a force that drives every young man of which I am not different. I have reasons, genuine reasons to leave. It is not that I left the church as everyone explains. Haven’t you heard – searching for greener pasture? I want to improve my status. I have the skill, I know the techniques, I have the voice for crying out loud. I am an asset, if not put to use properly will turn to an abandoned building. 

A good environment fosters success. I need where I would be appreciated for my much effort. I garnered reasons for my actions and was consumed only by my wants. This is not a pointer to anyone who left a church but to those who are consumed by self, their needs only, and often leave when the harvest is due. To be better is a virtue, to count only your number among other numbers is not godly. People leave the oven too soon only to realize they landed in the trash can.  They actually have the potential to satisfy one’s long night fast; all but BUT is the word attached to their stories. Well, I left the church and saw those with like passion and was covered by the awesome achievement made by these people I was far better than. I only saw the building and not the hidden foundation. It was hidden from me and those who want to fly without wings or engines. 

Years passed, my songs were still not on the mouth of babes, and my posters are not seen on the street. Have you not read that Talent is never enough? I grasped some things along my journey. Adding value to life attracts those things we staked our neck for. How did the story end? I left to cut the tree of life with a blunt knife. My church was a place where I was equipped to add value but I drained the tank of all its life-giving water and filled it with gravels of worries and quick-fame-quest. 

While you hustle as most would say – patience is not evil, wisdom and instructions are not for fools who don’t know what to do, your small business won't magically turn into a multi-billion dollar company, don’t run with zeal alone. To those asking: what if you are rejected, not appreciated and all of that. Well, it is painful at first, but I got to live still, I got to keep doing good still, I got to keep my integrity still, I have got to start appreciating myself, start getting fulfilled by finishing every task excellently, build my esteem, and refuse to live on their opinions and appraisals. I recommend knowing Jesus and growing in the grace that He has freely given.

The boy that left the church – will you leave wisdom behind for the wild market? I Answered; No dad. He continued; Solomon only operated on the instructions of His father and was never poor!

Wisdom is on the street for free as you are about your journey to the market, if you go without it, you will pay with your tears, sweat, time and money. It is disguised in advice as life itself is disguised in a book called the bible. Hope you’ll tell your sons this story.


Written by: Nwaribe Onyinye.
Share:

1 comment:

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Pages

Contributors

Powered by Blogger.

Text Widget

Copyright © Welcome to Josephine Ikurusi's Blog | Powered by Blogger Design by PWT | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com